"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." ~ Anatole France

Thursday, April 13, 2006

First Blood (1982)

Having a conversation with an old friend can be a strange experiance. You pick up right where you left off. It can almost be like you never lost contact. But you have lost time. There are gaps in the knowledge you have about each other, because while time may have passed in reality, it hasn't passed in your friendship.

I was talking to an old friend last weekend when one one of these gaps caused an odd little revelation.

I had written a short narritive about some medical stuff that had happened to me (more on that later) and my friend had read it that week. We chatted about it and he asked if I still wrote on a regular basis.

It was like I had forgotten that I had ever written anything. I can remember a day when I was on the computer hacking away at twenty different things (though never finishing any of them) every day. These days I found myself exhausted if my e-mails were more than two paragraphs.

But the question remained.

I didn't write, but I sure as hell should. The last year of my life has been the most transitional year of my life. Stranger than the year I was apprehended by Dutch Military Police. Weirder than the year I got married by Captian James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise. This year has been a big one for me and I should be writing about all the changes I have been through.

So we'll start at the beginning and work our way up to speed.

Next time I'll fill you all in on what made me decide to change my life forever and go under the knife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home